Having more battery power for your camera can make the difference between coming home with the shot you were looking for or running out of juice just before the golden moment. Unfortunately most factory brand batteries are very expensive as most of them come with a $100 price tag. So you might break the bank if you want to carry 3-4 batteries with you at all times. But what about those cheap third party brand batteries, do they work?
I recently had to purchase some new batteries for my Canon 7d. I looked for a deal or a good price the Canon LP-E6 battery online. I had no luck as most of the links I looked at offered the battery for $100. I decided to go ahead and buy 2 BM LP-E6 batteries just before leaving for Bali. It cost me $35 for the 2 batteries and shipping. I used them heavily during my 2 week trip and must say that I saw very little difference between them and the Canon one I still had in my bag. In all fairness my Canon battery is old and probably looses it’s charge quicker than a brand new one but still I was able to shoot all day with a BM battery.
All and all I believe that the BM batteries I bought are great and hold their charge long enough in a very hot climate. I would love to be able to try them in a very cold environment as well. The batteries are compatible with the Canon 7d, meaning that I can see their status on my body or in my menu. I was able to shoot around 500-600 photos without fully draining the charge. I don’t use the Live View Mode unless I shoot very specific scenes, so it could be a little different for someone that uses the Live View Mode a lot on their camera. That being said I was deleting photos on my camera everyday for about 20 minutes on the same charge that I used to shoot them. I came back home with hundreds of great photos and never ran out of power in the field.
So should you buy them? My answer is ABSOLUTELY!! How can you go wrong with two batteries for $35. You can get six batteries for the price of one Canon LP-E6… Click here to take a look at these BM LP-E6 batteries at Amazon.ca
Photography can be an expansive hobby as you will always look for the next lens or camera body you can afford. You might get to a point where the next purchase will cost an arm and a leg… So you save money for a while and wait. Meanwhile you might get your hands on a gadget or two that can improve your camera kit and satisfy you untill the next big purchase. I did some research and found 5 reasonably priced products you should definitely look into.
- Pulse by Alpine Labs. Pulse is a remote trigger for your DSLR or mirror less camera. It plug straight to the camera and allow you to wirelessly control your camera from your smartphone. You can take control over the settings of your camera to create time-lapse, HDR, long exposure, video or simply take a single photo. This slick looking gadget will be available during the summer 2016 at a price tag of $100.
- Gnarbox. The Gnarbox is waterproof, shockproof, dustpoof and ready for your adventure. Connect your smartphone via wifi to look, edit or share pictures. It hold up to 128 GB of full resolution footage and have a battery that last 4-6 hours. Just have to connect your camera or insert your card to transfer files to the box. This boomproof external hard drive will be available in September 2016 and you can pre order it for USD $250
- Genie Mini by Syrp. The Genie mini is an extremely easy-to-use device to create smooth panning motion time-lapse or real-time video. This motion control device connect to your smart phone giving you all the tools for easy control. It is compatible with a huge range of cameras and works with GoPro, mirror-less camera or DSLR. This compact unit is for sale for USD $250.
- Capture Pro Clip by Peak Design. The Capture Pro Clip is a pro-quality camera carrying clip. Rigidly carry any camera on any backpack strap, belt or bag. It can also be use as a tripod head itself. You wont break the back for this great clip as it only cost around $80.
- Memory Card Case by Pelican. This water resistant, shockproof, dustpoof little case can carry 8 SD Cards & 16 Mini SD Cards. It is compact and allow safe and easy storage for your memory cards. There is another model that can store 6 compact flash cards. These cases go for $30.