Sony lunched a new firmware update for some of their mirrorless camera including the A7III (ILCE-7M3) on the 10/10/2018. There has been a few very interesting changes worth writing about. The first thing that comes in mind is the Focus areas that were previously greyed out when using an adapter, like a Sigma MC-11, are now available. You can use your Canon lenses and have all of the AF options available!
The update is not to hard to install. Make sure to have a full battery, download the software and follow the online instructions from the Sony website. Look online if you have any issues there is lot’s of Youtube videos on how to install the update.
Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
- Support of “SEL400F28GM”and “SEL24F14GM”
- Optimization of the optical image stabilization performance, and addition of a new image stabilization mode of the lens (Mode 3)(Only “SEL400F28GM”).
- Addition of a Function Ring(Lens) to the menu.
Note: For the SEL400F28GM lens, the APS-C S35/Full Frame Sel. setting is assignable to the Function Ring in addition to Power Focus.
- Addition of [Aperture Drive in AF] setting in the menu.
*Using the lens “SEL400F28GM” or “SEL24F14GM”, when [Silent priority] is selected, the sound emitted by the aperture drive will be reduced. This is useful in shooting conditions where camera.
noise should be kept to a minimum. Note that Auto Focus may become slower when [Silent priority] is selected.
- New features:
- [AF Track Sens] can be assigned to a custom key.
- When used with the LA-EA3 mount adaptor, all focus areas are supported.
Note : Focus Area options added : Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF.
Bracket shooting is available during silent shooting when [File Format] is set to [RAW] or [RAW & JPEG] and [RAW File Type] is set to [Uncompressed].
- Other improvements:
- Improvement of the performance and the overall stability of the camera.
- Better reproduction of the gradation of RAW pictures.
Note: Imaging Edge software needs to be updated to benefit from the improvement in the RAW processing.
- When shooting with a flash in an environment with flickering light sources, the stability of the exposure is improved.
- Improvement of managing continuously shot images as a group.
Please refer to the HelpGuide for updated function usage.
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update
- Resolves a “blinking pixels” phenomenon at the bottom edge of the image during XAVC S 4K (PAL 25p) recording (depending on the combination of camera settings)
- Resolves an issue where the touch panel could occasionally become unresponsive
- Improves the overall stability of the camera